ESL Lesson – Predictions (Middle School)

A really simple game that gets the students practising the key expression “I think ______ will _______.” It was made for a middle school class (age 13-16). The higher-level classes should produce more complicated sentences. The powerpoint is full of videos which students can’t get enough of so energy levels should stay nice and high.

Students will watch videos which pause at a particular point. Then they must predict what will happen next and write a sentence. Finally they answer a multiple choice question and then watch what actually did happen next. Easy.

Read the Lesson Plan and download the Lesson Files

If you use this lesson we always appreciate feedback so let us know how it goes. Also, if you have any problems at all give us a shout and we’d be happy to help out.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

18 Responses to “ESL Lesson – Predictions (Middle School)”

1. Chris says:

I just wanted to say that this lesson was awesome. Thank you so much.

2. Luke says:

Great lesson, thanks! Haven’t used it yet, but know it is going to work well.

3. Pinoy says:

Absolutely superb. Thank you!

4. Chris says:

I used this lesson plan last week and it worked out really well. This lesson is especially useful as all of my students had finished testing but were still interested in everything. Great job!

5. Ldietzenbach says:

I can’t get the video to play. Can you post in another format or on youtube?

• Andy says:

Where are you having trouble with the video? They should all play directly through powerpoint as they’re WMVs.

• Mark says:

I will have this lesson with my ESL student now and I had the same problem when I tried to play the video. You need to have the video files in the same folder to play them. I don’t know if it will work for you, but it worked on me.

6. Jwain1 says:

some absolutely banging lesson plans on here. i feel bad for the kids that my power points have been so bad in comparison….oops

7. Duncan Elder says:

Wow what a show A Question of Sport was! I will use this tomorrow.

8. Ben says:

Your lessons are really ingenious. Many thanks for all your efforts! Great to see such a good ESL teacher – the teachers I’ve seen so far pale in comparison…

9. Andy says:

Thanks folks, nice to know it’s coming in handy!

10. John says:

I know that the videos are supposed to work in powerpoint, but they are not for me. Does anyone know why this may be?

11. mmj says:

Last year I used your ESL Lesson – predictions (middle school) and my sixth grade students LOVED IT. I was going to use the game again this year with my class but am unable to open your lesson files to access the game. Can you please help me with this? Thank you

• Andy says:

Hi, I just double checked the download. Seems to be working fine. It’s a zip file so you need an unzip program to extract the files on a pc. (Recommmend downloading winzip). On a mac it should unzip itself.

12. Mark Lester Dondonay says:

This is really awesome! I saw the lesson and I’m planning to use it in my class. I’m sure my student will love this. Thanks for sharing.